Saturday, October 9, 2010

Off topic: Hot Chocolate

I am not sure I should be posting so much off topic.  It only proves that I am not doing my homework.   However, I am really enjoying this blogging thing! lol! I will finish today's blog, but will then be turning all of my "non 23 things" posts to http://msharriswmhs.blogspot.com/

Today I was supposed to attend the fair.  Didn't happen.  Just like everything else in my life I get sidetracked easily!  My friends and I were looking for a parking spot, could not find one, decided to park by the Dart and ride the train in then decided, while looking for the Dart, to just postpone the fair and go shopping instead.  It was all Constance's fault.  She said "I think that spice store is around here somewhere".  SPICE STORE??!!  Holy Mother of God.  I, of course, replied "fair, we can always go to the fair!  Why don't we go to this spice store instead!" And so we did.  The name of this spice store is Penzeys.  It can be found online (just click on "penzeys" and it will pop up magically) as well as somewhere in Dallas.  I am geographically challenged and have NO idea where. :D

I purchased several things but the most important today (I will get to the others later when I use them) was the Dutch Processed High Fat cocoa.  OMG!!!  If you don't know the difference let me just inform you...it is good stuff.  I have made brownies as well as hot chocolate today from it.  I am not so sure I can now go back to the other stuff.  It is that good!  This was the recipe:

4 cups milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons of cocoa
a splash of cinnamon and vanilla
Heat all ingredients to 145 degrees F.  Top with marshmallows.

Of course I had to alter it.  I only added 3 cups of milk, 4 T of sugar, 3 T of cocoa, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  It was amazing.  I am normally a snob when it comes to chocolate.  Only the good stuff for me!  Yes, I still heat my milk in a saucepan and pour it over the chopped up high % chocolate pieces, also known as the "old fashioned way".  My students usually get a big kick out of this when they make it in class.  I get an even bigger kick out of it when they email me years later and ask for the "recipe".  :)  It made my day!

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely check out Penzeys! The old fashioned way for making hot chocolate is the best. Sorry you missed the fair ... the Tom Landry exhibit was worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete